Pupils and students at The Ladies’ College will now benefit from a new Food Technology and photography darkroom facility, with the official opening of The Ellershaw Centre this week.
The newly renovated building is part of the continuing development of The Ladies’ College facilities, to provide a broad and balanced education, to develop life skills needs and to support wider interests.
The College has added Food Technology to the curriculum as part of the students’ Design and Technology course at Key Stage 3 and the Enrichment Programme for the Sixth Form in 2021-2022. The darkroom has been created to support students studying photography as an A-level subject.
The opening of The Ellershaw Centre coincides with the College achieving a UK standard Wellbeing Award in January, which endorses the school’s ongoing commitment to supporting students with healthy lifestyles.
Principal of The Ladies’ College, Mrs Clancy, “Well-being remains at the core of our work. In providing an environment that encourages empathy, flexibility and resilience, whilst recognizing the importance of teamwork, communication and kindness, these fundamental 21st century skills can be developed in The Ellershaw Centre. In developing this resource, we aim to continue to encourage and inspire our pupils and students to aim high and develop the necessary skills and motivation, by investing in the very fabric of their learning environment.”
The darkroom equipment for The Ellershaw Centre was purchased with prize money that the College had won in the Sovereign Arts Competition. Miss Alston, Head of Photography comments, “The Art and Photography department are excited to see how student projects will be enhanced with the use of this modern facility. It is an extremely valuable resource that can help assist students’ understanding of the photography process and our A-level students have already thoroughly enjoyed creatively experimenting with the techniques available”.
The facility, which was named in memory of Miss Ellershaw, Principal of The Ladies’ College from 1935-1963, will be ‘officially’ opened on Tuesday 20 April by Mickael Pesrin and Delphine Auder, who have successfully ran Le Petit Bistro and are owners of Octopus. Two well-respected and loved restaurant on the island and loved by those who visit too.
The Ellershaw Centre will be overseen by Head of Design and Technology, Mr Jon Smith, has overseen the development of the new addition to the College, which is on the corner of The Guild Field and Mrs Bea Smith has developed the course and teachers the students, ably supported by Mrs Sarah Magginis.
Jon Smith said, “Many have been asking for such a facility for years to give the students the important knowledge, confidence and life skills to produce their own food safely and healthily. The exciting refurbishment of a listed building on The Ladies’ College site is now a hub of creative activity. Students are already enjoying making a wide range of culinary delights and learning safe, practical skills whilst preparing ingredients and cooking a varied menu in a new fresh environment. Future skills are being developed to enable the students to confidently look after their nutritional needs.”
The new facilities have been named after Miss Ellershaw who was Principal of The Ladies’ College from 1935 – 1963. During her time, the College expanded with her introduction of new activities, such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, sports fixtures with schools on the mainland and introducing a Sixth Form. In May 1963 she was host to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, who laid the foundation stone of the new College building. In her speech, the Queen Mother spoke of how ‘the modern woman needs to have the highest education available to her if she is to have her place in the modern world’.