We appreciate that snow can present some unique difficulties for schools. We will follow external advice given, but in principle will aim to stay open. It may, however, not always be possible for us to open on time, or to teach a full curriculum if colleagues are delayed or prevented from coming to work.
The following points summarize what we will aim to do in the event of adverse weather.
In the event of overnight snow and ice
- When snow has fallen overnight, we will communicate decisions about school closure or a later start time no later than 07:15. Parents will receive notification of the College’s decision regarding closure/changes to opening by Parent Hub (including updates if snow falls during the working day). Supporting communications will be via our website, Facebook, Twitter, Radio Guernsey and Island FM.
- We will consider external advice, but in principle we will aim to stay open and colleagues who feel they can get into College will supervise girls who come in.
- If your daughter comes into College, please be aware we may have limited or indeed no access to The Core, so packed food/drink is required.
Senior School and Sixth Form students
- Colleagues will set appropriate work for to complete either in College or at home. If you feel your daughter can travel to and from College safely (following advice issued by the Police, for example), she will be supervised by teachers who have been able to attend. If she stays at home, work will be accessible via Microsoft Teams.
- Students are also encouraged to enjoy the snow, read or research topics that are of interest to them, with a suggestion that the news or newspaper may provide an interesting stimulus for them, as well as considering how they might support those in the Guernsey community who may find the snowy conditions a personal challenge.
Melrose and Pre-Preparatory parents will be directed to the School Closure Activities resource on the Melrose page of the College website. They are, of course, also encouraged to enjoy the snow.
If arriving on site under snowy conditions
- Senior School and Sixth Form students should access the site from the entrance at Perchard’s Lane (via the trim trail) or Brock Road. Sixth Form students are asked to attend the site where their lesson would take place.
- Senior School and Sixth Form students are asked to go directly to the main College building and to follow advice on the screens about the safety of the site in respect of accessing the Leaf Centre, Design & Technology and Art & Drama buildings.
- Melrose and Pre-Preparatory pupils are asked to go to their usual location, accessing the site from whichever of the College’s entrances is most suitable.
In the event of snow during the day
- When snow falls during the day, we will monitor the weather conditions and once again aim to stay open until the normal time. Parents will receive notification of the College’s decision regarding closure/changes to opening by Parent Hub.. We will not ask, nor do we expect your daughter/s to give you this information and are keen to avoid the situation where parents arrive at their daughter’s request outside of our own advice.
- Sixth Form students will be dismissed from whichever site they are on at the time a decision is taken by ourselves or Elizabeth College.
General information in the event of snow
Please be advised that:
- Whilst we do our very best to make the site safe we may not be able to clear all pathways and so both parents and children should proceed with caution.
- We may have limited or indeed no access to The Core, so packed food/drink is required.
- Students are encouraged to wear footwear and outer clothing which keeps them safe and warm.
Our full Snow Plan can be read here